- 100 reasons to go vegan
- What are animal rights?
- Get vegucated
- Vegan vs. Meat-eater
- What would happen if we all quit eating meat?
- How many animals do you save by not eating them?
- Benefits of veganism for your wallet, your health and our planet
- Frequently asked questions
Making the transition
- Vegan Starter Kit - Great for beginners!
- Getting started
- How to make the transition to veganism
- So you wanna be vegan?
- Mistakes to avoid when going vegan
- Daily plan
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack and dessert ideas
- 4 ways to make any vegan recipe
- Vegan Health
- Vegan breakfast recipes
- Finding Vegan
- The Vegan Stoner
Videos and Books
- Earthlings (contains disturbing images)
- Masterlist of vegan documentaries
- Eating animals (PDF)
- MEAT: the truth (contains disturbing images)
- Why we love dogs, eat pigs and wear cows
- Vegan: The new ethics of eating (PDF)
Credit for photo: Elena Shumilova
Signal boosting for people who are new to veganism! :)
- Massage Oil – Coconut oil soothes tired and sore muscles. Add a few drops of essential oils for more effect.
- Athletes Foot – The powerful antifungal properties of coconut oil make it perfect for any fungal infection. Add a few drops of oregano or tea tree oil for more antifungal power.
- Acne – Coconut oil gently fights the bacteria that cause acne. Dab it directly on the offending pimples and watch them shrink.
- Cleanser – Coconut oil makes an effective and gentle cleanser to remove the grime of the day.
- Lice – Coconut oil kills and removes this pesky problem.
- Stretch Marks – Prevent and soften stretch marks from pregnancy with coconut oil for soft and supple skin.
- Warts and Moles – Rub oil into area and cover with a bandage. Rub in fresh oil and place a new bandage each day.
- Moisturizer – Coconut oil is an excellent way to soften and hydrate dry, rough, or damaged skin.
- Face Scrub – Mix coconut oil with baking soda, sugar, or cinnamon and oatmeal for the perfect face scrub and exfoliator.
- Dandruff – Massage coconut oil into the scalp to ease symptoms of dandruff, both itching and flaking.
- Curb Appetite – Take a spoonful before meals to curb appetite so you don’t overeat.
- Wrinkles – Rub into lines, creases, and wrinkles to rehydrate skin and soften those wrinkles away.
- Sore Throat – Dissolve a spoonful in your mouth and let it slowly roll down the throat. This will coat and protect the throat, boost the health of mucus membranes, and fight any infection.
- Ring Worm – Rub coconut oil onto affected area to kill the fungus that causes unsightly ringworm. Add tea tree oil to clear the infection even faster.
- Lip Balm – Coconut oil hydrates and protects lips. Coconut even offers some protection from the sun, about an SPF 4.
- Cold Sore – Coconut oil has antiviral properties that will help the body get rid of the virus that causes cold sores. Rub it on when needed and add a drop of oregano oil to speed healing.
- Lubricant – Coconut makes an all-natural personal lubricant for intimate moments without chemicals.
- Gum Removal – Coconut oil gets the sticky stuff out of hair, carpet, and anywhere else it doesn’t belong.
- Pet Health – Coconut oil can do a multitude of things for pets, both topically and internally. It improves breath, makes for a shiny coat, eases joint problems, cleans ears, gets rid of fleas, and much more.
- Stys/Pink Eye – Rub a small amount of coconut oil on the sty or around the eyes to get rid of these painful and annoying infections quickly.
- Earaches – Earaches, swimmer’s ear, and ear infections clear up fast with a few drops of coconut oil mixed with garlic oil.
- Cradle Cap – Coconut oil is gentle and safe for infants and helps ease the itching, pain, redness, and flaking associated with cradle cap.
- Diaper Rash – Coconut oil can help heal mild diaper rash gently and effectively.
- Bruises – Rub coconut oil into bruised skin to speed healing and watch the bruises fade fast.
- Age Spots – Coconut oil has beneficial effects on any skin blemish. Use it to help fade age spots with powerful antioxidants.
- Shaving Cream – Coconut oil keeps the razor gliding smoothly while leaving skin smooth and soft.
- After Shave – Don’t want unpleasant bumps and rashes after shaving? Coconut oil soothes sensitive skin and promotes healing.
- Toothpaste – Mix 1 part coconut oil with 1 part baking soda and add a couple drops of peppermint oil. This makes a refreshing, natural toothpaste that whitens and cleans without added preservatives, fluoride, sweeteners, or other chemicals.
- Chicken Pox – Ease the itch and encourage healing with dabs of coconut oil. It also works on poison ivy, poison oak, mosquito bites, and other insect stings or bites.
- Yeast Infections – Coconut oil fights these fungal infections internally and externally.
- Makeup Remover – Coconut oil removes oil-based makeup easily, like mascara. It cleans, hydrates, and makes skin glow.
- Conditioner – Coconut oil conditions, strengthens, and repairs hair. Massage it in and rinse it out after ten minutes. A small amount can be rubbed in to dry hair to tame frizz.
- Polish Furniture – Coconut oil gives a protective shine to wood furniture. Just make sure you test it out on a small area to make sure you like the outcome.
- Energy – Coconut oil and its medium chain triglycerides make it an excellent energy source to improve stamina, endurance, or just to give you a boost through the day.
- Deodorant – Mix coconut oil with cornstarch, baking soda, and your favorite essential oils for a natural deodorant that smells fantastic.
- Eye Cream – Reduce puffiness and dark circles with a few dabs of coconut oil.
- Eczema – Coconut oil reduces the itchiness, pain, flakiness, and dryness of eczema, psoriasis, and dermatitis.
- Sunburn – Coconut oil can help prevent sunburn for short exposures. When you burn, it will also speed healing and take some of the sting away. Make sure you wait until all the heat has dissipated before applying it or you trap the heat in. Wait 24 to 72 hours depending on the extent of the burn.
- Hemorrhoids – Coconut oil eases the pain and discomfort of hemorrhoids and encourages natural healing both internally and externally.
- Nose Bleeds – Rub a bit of coconut oil in nostrils to fight the dry cracking that can lead to nose bleeds and pain.
- Canker Sores – Dab coconut oil on canker sores to kill infection and speed up healing. Coconut oil is also a far tastier way to treat canker sores than most other methods.
- Toothaches – Coconut oil eases the pain and strengthens teeth. You can mix it with a drop of clove oil to almost instantly relieve pain.
- Acid Reflux – Take a small spoonful with meals to keep acid reflux and heartburn at bay.
- Urinary Tract – Treat urinary tract infections with a spoonful of coconut oil. It may even ease the painful passing of kidney stones.
- Nursing – Coconut oil works great to repair dry, cracked skin, including sore nipples from nursing.
- Alzheimer’s – Some research points to coconut oil as a way to slow the progression of or prevent Alzheimer’s and dementia.
- Bones – Coconut oil aids the body in the absorption of calcium and magnesium. Both minerals are important for strong bones and teeth.
- Epilepsy – Coconut oil may reduce the incidence and intensity of epileptic seizures.
- Fitness – Coconut oil boosts energy, increases metabolism, improves thyroid function, and aids healthy weight loss. It is the perfect addition to any workout or fitness regimen.
- Cooking – Coconut oil doesn’t form harmful by-products when heated like most other oils and animal fats. Use it to replace butter, cup for cup in recipes. Sauté, cook, bake, broil, braise, and more using coconut oil as a healthier alternative.
LadyLoki Collar - Tutorial/process diary
Finished collar: http://anachronisminaction.tumblr.com/post/89984844404/decorative-armor-collar-made-for-my-lady-loki
Whole Costume: http://anachronisminaction.tumblr.com/post/91103284009/lady-loki-costume-for-the-labyrinth-of-jareth
1- I started by cutting out a pattern in craft foam and trying it on to get a rough shape to start with. I used one of my halter tops as a the starting point: https://www.facebook.com/Anachronism.In.Action/photos/a.269392913112439.80726.269295446455519/590989730952754/?type=3&theater I then cut the pieces out in worbla, and attached the shoulders and collar together.
2- Recruiting the help of a friend, we began to shape the collar to my torso. Going section by section, I would hold the collar and heat it up, wait a second for it to cool then put it on. My friend would then help me hold it in place until it cooled and hardened again. I wore a t-shirt over my corset to protect both my skin and the garment.
3- (not shown) Once we had it shaped, my friend marked out the edge of the corset on the worbla, and I cut it down to 1” bellow that line. I also cut and attached the shoulder Flanges.
4- I began to design and draw on the snake skin pattern. I found the basic design by googling “snake skin stencil” then blowing up the image. I used tracing paper and a soft pencil to transfer the design. Once I had everything laid out nicely, I went over it in pen just in case the pencil rubbed off.
5- I used an engraving tool ( This exact one:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Wood-Burning-Crafting-Tool-5-in-1-Leather-crafts-Cutting-Fushing-Darice-/141320784036?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e76008a4) with the knife tip to cut/burn out the snakeskin. There will be smoke, so either do this part outside or wear a respirator (or both!) and make sure your canisters are for fumes, not particles like a dust mask etc. Save those for sanding.
6- Added little strips for some more detail, making the different sections look more intentional. I also at this point, used a hole pun to make the lacing holes at the center back.
7- I tried the collar on with the corset to make sure everything was fitting, and made little tweaks to various parts to make then a little better.
8- I applied 3 layers of Gesso (Sanding in-between) before I ran out and used some spray primer. This ended up being a mixed blessing as there was something wrong with the can and after a little use it started spewing powered paint. I ended up having to do extra sanding to get it off, but decided to leave it on the snakeskin part of the collar because I thought it added a nice textural contrast.
9- I painted the collar using the same method as the other parts of my look costume. I started with two coats of metallic acrylic paint (jacquard lumiere) followed by a layer of rub’n’buff. I used dry brushing, and watered down acrylic in black to add some shadows. The final step was a few coats of satin finish sealer (one of modpodge, two of clear kryolan spraypaint)
10- To finish the collar, I lined the neck, shoulder, and edges in moleskin for comport. I also painted a satin ribbon antique gold with some fabric paint to lace the back closed; because it seemed easier than going to the store again :)
I hope you enjoyed seeing my process for making the collar. If you try anything similar, be sure to send me pictures!
crafts. this was blogged under crafts. i scrapbook. thats a craft. this? this is gold. crafts level 9000
Thank you :) I am glad you like my work. I used the tag crafts because that is actually a common industry term for items such as this that fall into the realm of costumes, but are not something that could or would be made by a stitcher (costume seamstress) as it requires a different skill set. In most costume shops the person who makes hats, distresses costumes, and makes items like above would work in the crafts department, and be called a craftsperson. In tv/film it is often elaborated to specialty costume crafts or manufacturer but crafts for short; which can get a little confusing when people are looking for crafty (food/catering). I suspect the term is a hold over from the arts and crafts movemement, when the word had a very different definition. Sorry to get all wordy, I used to attend a school called California Collage of Arts and Crafts and I had to explain the name a lot. It probably didn’t help that I did, Infact, take a basket weaving class there.
SLAYLARY LIVING LEGENDUFF IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KATY PERRY BETTER GET HER CHEAP WEAVE GLUED CUZ THE TRUE POP QUEEN WANTS TO SNATCH SOME WEAVESSSSS!!!! YAAAAASSSSSSSSS
wuuut omg she´s beautiful!!